Ductless mini split air conditioner is your best choice if you need an effective, efficient way to cool one or multiple areas. No need to heat the entire space because each unit works independently (in a system which has more than one indoor unit) which helps in reducing the energy usage.
Ductless mini split ACs components:
- Condensing unit
- Refrigerant lines
- Indoor unit or units
- Remote control or wall monitor
Advantages of ductless mini split AC system:
- Quiet: the unit has compressor which is outside housed,and the only source of indoor noise is the unit’s fan. This makes them much quieter than window or thru-wall air conditioners.
- Zone cooling: instead of cooling your entire house you can cool one room or area. No need to waste energy cooling area you are not in.
- Ductless: no ducts which spread the allergens and other particles.
- Windows not required: unlike other kinds of ACs,no window is required to install it.
The size and power
Each indoor unit has a set number of BTUs (British thermal unit).You should check the number of the BTUs associated with the indoor unit and be sure it fits the square footage you are intending to use the AC unit in. When it comes to multiple zone systems both inside and outside units have BTU rating.
Add 20%BTUs for ceiling higher than 8 ft. Poorly insulated areas.
Add 30% BTUs for climates with seasonal temperatures over 90°
Check the voltage of your ductless mini split air conditioner. Small units use a standard 110-120 volt plug. Larger units require higher voltage (220-240 volt plug).
If you are looking to cool your home efficiently then the ductless mini split air conditioner is your best choice. Their efficiency is measured by SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio). Higher SEER means more efficient unit.
EER is another energy rating (Energy Efficiency Ratio). It looks at energy usage per square foot of cooling .
The compressor is the outdoor unit, and it is one of the most important parts of a mini split system. There are 2 main compressor types,rotary and inverter. Inverter compressors save energy more than rotary ones by not constantly turning on and off.
- Adjustable airflow
- Programmable timer
- Washable air filter
- Automatic restart
Mini split ACs can include multiple modes:
- Fan only